What was the last movie you saw at the movie theaters? Can you name the movie or has it been so long that you went to a theater you don’t remember? You may be like me and avoid going to movie theaters because of their unreasonable upscale prices. Just to get into the movies the tickets are ten dollars! Imagine if five people went to the movie, that’s fifty dollars just to watch a 90-minute movie. Popcorn and drinks are extremely overpriced with their price of about another ten dollars, NOT including candy! My family and I used to have a movie night out every week but since the prices went up we have turned to other alternatives.
Netflix has become very popular because for only 7.99 dollars a month you can watch an unlimited amount of movies on your TV or computer. Many have subscribed to this site and have avoided going to the movie theaters. Another growing alternative is Red Box. With just one dollar you can rent a movie for a night and enjoy a nice movie night at home.
If you still want to get out the house and go into a theater, try going to the dollar movies. Last night I went to a dollar theater movie, which is technically now a $1.75 movie theater, but is still better than a $10 ticket. These theaters show movies you would get at a red box, but the concessions are still pretty pricy. The only thing with these alternatives is that the movies are not box opening premiers. Yet, they still help when it comes to keeping a budget.

I agree that movies have become overpriced! Another option that my family does is buy movies on demand on the television. It is still about $5, but the whole family can watch it for that price. Movies are a great way to spend time with your friends and family, so I hate to see that the prices keep getting higher.
ReplyDeleteMovie prices are starting to get higher but I have a few problems with your post. First off, movie prices change depending on the day. Weekend prices are going to be higher because the demand is higher on weekends. So if family night was originally a weekend night then the family could simply move it to a weeknight.
ReplyDeleteSecond, the red box movie dispensers are not good at all. They contain maybe 3 or 4 watchable movies and all the others are ancient or weren't even in theaters. My friends and I always used to go see what the local Red Box had and it never had anything we thought was even worth our one dollar. To me, Netflix is the only reasonable deal around, unless of course you can change your movie watching night to a weekday.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI beg to differ Robert. The theaters I usually go to don't change their prices from weekdays to weekends. Tickets prices are more dependent on time of day. The demand of course is higher during evening and night times. The AMC theater at Northpark charges $10.50 for an adult ticket (whether it's Monday or Saturday). Matinee showings are without a doubt cheaper to serve as incentive to watch a movie during unbusy hours. Unless they're enjoying a holiday break, it's practically impossible to get a family together at these early times. They do have 'deals'. If you're a student, you can pay $7.50 on Thursdays. Other than that you'd have to be under 12 or over 60 to get a ticket for less than ten bucks.
ReplyDeleteWhat I think is even more ridiculous are the 3D Fees! The vast majority of recent films are tacking on 3D to their title, resulting in an upcharge to the movie-goer's ticket price of $5.
http://www.amctheatres.com/Northpark/
I don't think the prices will ever go back down and it's sad because I love watching movies