Saturday, September 25, 2010

"Socially Retarded"




When I was reading some of the blogs from the other students to leave a comment, I saw a blog that really struck an idea. I thought about it so much that I decided to make my own blog about it. The blogger had written about how now days, our society is so dependent on these portable technological devices we call our cell phones. It seems that we cannot be one second without holding or looking at our cell phones. Our cell phones are not only used for phone calls now, but for text messages, email, facebook, twitter and pretty much anything a computer can do. I even pay bills through my phone. It is a device that has a lot of advantages and does make life easier at time but it is also causing the people in our generation a big problem. 
This picture was taken during a night out with some friends, and take a closer look at it. What do you notice? Everyone in this picture has their phone in their hand, and is looking down at it! No one even bother to look up for the picture. This picture made me realized the harm that cell phones are causing. A friend used a phrase 'socially retarded' to refer to the situation in this picture. Meaning we were mentally incapable to maintain a social conversation with the people around us. Instead of talking to the person next to you, we usually all chose to sit there and start texting or even update our status on facebook and twitter. Theses sites are so easily reachable, especially through our mobile devices, that people do not see the necessity to have a real face to face conversation when they can just send a written text. So I guess the point that I am trying to make is that even though our cell phones are such a helpful device we have to be careful that it does not mess with our social skills because it can become a serious problem. If we do not know how to communicate or interact with people how are we ever going to have a successful job interview or even keep a simple conversation with anyone?


3 comments:

  1. Lily - this is such an important issue affecting our society today. So many people have raised the question about whether technology and social networking are making us "socially retarded" as you say. From my point of view, technology has allowed us to distance ourselves from eachother, making our relationships impersonal and detached. I agree that this is really harming our ability to learn social and communication skills. Without personal interaction, we don't create the threads that connect us and create a community. This can lead to serious problems - not just problems with conversing and being able to interview for a job - people are more isolated and thus more prone to depression. I read a great article in Newsweek that talks about how social isolation is affecting our society - you should check it out: http://www.newsweek.com/2009/08/20/lonely-planet.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the reasons why my parents do not allow me to text or to have web service on my phone, the fear that my brother and I would become so engaged with "the electronic mob" that we would be "socially retarded" and not be able to live a healthy social life as most normal people are. I find that many of us slip into the anti social way of life to live in the delusion that social networking can substitute for an actual face to face conversation.

    I sometimes find myself anti-text when people tell me that I have not responded to any of their texts, not only because, one I didn't receive any, but also because of the butchery of grammar and spelling as well as the loss of tone and voice in simple expressions. If someone texts me a message as simple as "I love you", I would not be able to interpret it as a intimate tone or a sarcastic demeaning tone without proper context or background. I can't help myself from ranting when I'm at a party or dinner and everyone around me is on their phones as similar to your situation and I'm the only one not plugged in. I laud you for this recognition and support of the unplugging of society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B Danger- I really respect you for not having texting or internet on your phone. I know it is sad, but honestly, I dont know what I would do with out either. I check my facebook several times a day on my phone when I am bored or have nothing else to do. I know that it prevents me from having conversations and meeting new people. I also think that texting can take away from people's relationships. Why not just talk on the phone? So much more can be said on the phone in the same time as one texting conversation. Phones are a sort of addiction. I left my phone with a friend the other day and could not stop thinking about what texts I was not answering.

    ReplyDelete